Help your kidneys stay healthy
Most of us are pretty clear about the function of our hearts and lung but may not be so sure about our kidneys. The most obvious function of the kidneys is removing anything that gets absorbed into the bloodstream that the body doesn’t need, including waste, toxins, extra salt, calcium or phosphorus.
Kidneys also help keep our blood pressure from dropping too low, help us absorb calcium for strong bones, protect against anemia and keep a balance of electrolytes so our hearts keep steadily beating. They are a vital part of our body so avoiding harming them is important.
Currently, kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. So here are six suggestions from the Cleveland Clinic on how to care for your kidneys so they can care for you.
1. Don’t wait to hydrate – Drinking four to six glasses of water throughout the day allows your kidneys to do their job. Although some people think that drinking a lot of water can help your kidneys do even better, there is no research that shows that over hydration enhances kidney function.
2. Be wise and exercise – Exercise pops up on every health focused to-do list because it really does work. Regular exercise can help keep off the pounds and keep your blood pressure in check, which helps the kidneys remain healthy.
3. Veggies and fruits are best – Generally, fresh fruits and vegetables are low in sodium and high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, which all benefit your kidney health. Canned or pickled vegetables or fruits are not as beneficial since they often are high in sodium. Some antioxidant-rich foods include dark-colored berries, strawberries, apples, cherries, artichokes, kidney beans and pinto beans. Eat these as often as you can.
4. Check the facts on extracts – Taking excessive amounts of vitamins and herbal extracts can harm your kidneys. It is best to check with your doctor before taking these health boosters, no matter what the website claims is true.
5. Keep health in line to remain feeling fine – If you have a condition like diabetes or high blood pressure, be sure to take steps to control it to avoid adding kidney issues to the list. Uncontrolled health conditions can affect kidney function and lead to kidney disease. Get routine screenings for kidney function if you have medical issues.
6. Too many pills may cause new ills – Non-prescription medications like ibuprofen and naproxen are safe if taken occasionally and according to the proper dosage. However, prolonged use or overuse can cause kidney damage. Be familiar with the dosage directions and follow them. If the pain is chronic, see the doctor for other methods of pain management.
Caring for your kidneys may not be difficult but it is important since kidneys play a vital role in your health. When undergoing a medical procedure or experiencing a medical event, extra care needs to be taken to be sure your kidneys are not damaged. Choosing to recover where there are trained professionals monitoring all the important functions of your body is a wise decision. When a body is under stress, it is hard to remember to take medications, get enough fluids and eat properly. Having a care team during recovery allows you to focus on regaining strength while they take care of all other issues.
Glenview Terrace has earned a reputation for offering one of the best post-hospital care programs in the area. They provide one-on-one physical, occupational and speech therapies up to seven days a week with the goal of returning the patient home as quickly as possible. The expert nursing team and support staff are ready with round-the-clock care for every need that arises from post-surgical care to pain management. They carefully monitor all a patient’s vital signs from kidney function to heart rate.
This specialized care is offered in an elegant environment. The well-appointed rooms and suites are filled with custom-designed furnishings and include a deluxe bathroom with a private shower. Guests are pampered with a variety of amenities including attentive concierge service, morning coffee and newspaper delivered daily to the room, diverse menu selections and much more. The attractive grounds and tranquil fountain are just some of the extras that go into creating an inviting environment for recovery.
When looking for compassionate care with elegance, consider Glenview Terrace where the goal is to quickly and safely get you back to your independent lifestyle. For more information or to arrange a tour, visit glenviewterrace.com or call 847-729-9090.